Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Getting published

Some Insight

I have been asked a bunch "how in the heck do you get published".  So I wanted to share some insights about that.  And instead of just using my perspective, I wanted to include those of the publisher also! So I contacted Beth Livesay, Managing Editor for Stampington & Company, and asked if she could contribute some of her thoughts to share with you.

What I got was an amazing description of the entire process.  I learned a lot from it as well, so this is so cool she took the time to write this up.

Thanks Beth!

This is one of my pieces that was published a couple of years ago. I was really hesitant to send my first piece in as well, as we all are.  But the lesson here is to just do it...just try! You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.  So what's a little rejection, we're big girls. If at first...well, you know!

I sent my first piece in, following the guidelines as listed in their magazines.  I tried to label exactly how they outlined, and include a check for return postage.  It was quite awhile before I heard anything, so be patient!  It could be many months.

Then they let you know, via email, if you have been accepted to be published.  If they want you to write an article, they may ask for step out photos, showing how to make your design.  So be sure to take photos of the process, that might be needed later for the article.  If not, you'll be going back and recreating the whole design!  Just a lot more trouble.

So writing the article is the most fun for me, well almost as much fun.  For the introductory paragraph, I try to think about what inspired me about making that piece, and then I build from that inspiration.  This is your chance to tell your story, whatever it is.  Be as creative as you like.  The more interesting, the more enjoyable to read.  Then write up the directions, coordinating with the step out photos. Then the editing begins. Take out all unnecessary words.  It's like packing...cut the words in half and use only what you need! Self editing saves them from doing it later, and saves them work. That's a good thing!

Here is an article including Beth's insights.  You should be able to print it out, and use when you need it.


Hope this helps give you some insight about the process.  Let me know if it does, okay? 
That would be really helpful to me!  
So, when are you going to submit?

Hugs,

Riki

6 comments:

  1. That first piece of jewelry you sent in is gorgeous, how could they not publish it. The bracelet though dated 1900, in your hands became a fresh new piece. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and insight with us and Beth, thank you too!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth is just the sweetest isn't she? And, so are you my friend to share this process with all those wanting to know more about the proces1 It is so gratifing to be accepted ~ every time..IT DOES NOT GROW OLD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for all thew insight from both of you. What a gorgeous bracelet!!
    Thanks hun
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want everyone to know...That Riki is one powerhouse of support.It was she that helped me get over my fear and just send something in..Thank you Riki for all the help you graciously share.Hugs,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post, Riki! I always enjoy seeing your work in publications - they are always some of my absolute favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to both of you!!! It is scarry to put yourself out there never knowing the response. You are sooooo great for sharing. HUGS!
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete